Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Cutting A Notch

Hope that the picture isn't too confusing-I can't recall if I've used it here before.
Not the easiest thing to do, get a double exposure on a Polaroid instant camera, but here we are. The ghost like figure facing the camera taught me about cutting a notch.
Cutting a notch makes so much sense that I'm surprised more people don't latch on it the idea, claiming it as their own.
Boston got a bit of snow in the past few weeks, and I imagine the sharper Bostonians know what I'm talking about.
I grew up in the country, and we had only a snowblower to keep the driveway clear. The hardest packed and deepest snow was at the end of the road, thanks to some slick yahoos driving County snowplows who seem to have an aversion to clear driveways. The also exhibited an affinity for knocking mailboxes. (Eventually the County got tired of mailbox complaints and set mailboxes that swivel out of the way when hit.) Anyway...
My Dad started cutting a notch in the snow for six feet ahead of the driveway.
Countyplows would push snow into the notch, and we'd still be able to get in and out of our driveway. Win/win.
I live in town now, and my 'driveway' only runs a good twelve feet, but I cut my notch just the same, and the City plows can't fence me in.  
Middle of February, and I've only run the snowblower a few times, as this Winter Boston stole all of our snow. I don't know which is worse for them:
seasonal SNOW or year around being so close to New York City.  I'd choose Snow.

1 comment:

Doug said...

I miss my Dad, but have lots of good memories.