Saturday, April 13, 2019

Bag It Yourself

 
  
I'm getting old.
This site, 'bag it duluth' was shared on my FB page by a friend. 
I'm as pro-earthy as the next; obvi recycle and do my part by NOT littering, keeping my human footprint to a minimum, being a good steward.
I read through the materials and as I said-I'm getting old. Something seemed off, something didn't strike the ear right, and I couldn't pick it out. The group 'bag it duluth' presented both problem and solution succinctly.

But the inner-libertarian in me whispered, "Why, if they don't like plastic bags, why haven't they spoken to the businesses which use them, asking them to stop?" 

I assume that they did speak to the businesses, but didn't like the answer they received.  So now they are appealing to the public, looking to force the businesses to obey through political force. 

THAT bothers me. The idea that, if you don't like a business, for whatever reason, that you can force that business to bend the knee to you through political clout.
My inner-libertarian shouted, "If I don't like plastic bags, I will NOT use plastic bags. But I would NEVER force my opinion on anyone else."

I drilled down through the 'bag it duluth' website and found that this isn't merely a corporate pollution issue...
it is actually a RACIAL ISSUE and how do you feel now, Mr. Racist?

                              Environmental and Climate Justice
  • Of the many factors contributing to the environmental inequities is the proximity of many low-income and communities of color to industrial facilities producing and disposing plastics resulting in respiratory diseases such as asthma, cardiovascular disease, neurological damage, developmental and reproductive disorders, numerous cancers, diabetes, and other health conditions.
  • Communities of color have higher exposure rates to air pollution than their white, non-Hispanic counterparts.
  • Landfills, hazardous waste sites, and other industrial facilities are most often located in communities of color. 
  • Climate change disproportionately affects low-income communities and communities of color.                                              End of page from their site.

  •  I thought climate change affected everyone, but if that were so, then everyone would be a victim rather than 'low income communities' and 'communities of color'. 
  • You MUST have A specific victim to champion! 
  • Of course, the assumption made is that these victims, poor dears, must have a white (!) knight in shining noble armor defend them because obvi, being communities of color, they are helpless to defend themselves. 
  • That thought is more offensive to my humanity than plastic bags. 
  • Every grocery store I visit has a bin for recycling plastic bags, which I assume is good. No Store or business has attempted to guilt me into following their political agenda. I'm bagging 'bag it duluth'.

No comments: