Friday, July 18, 2008

Job 40:1-14

After Job’s life had been turned upside down, after his friends had accused him of harboring some secret sin which had brought God’s Judgment down on him…God spoke to Job.
He didn’t explain Himself. He didn’t apologize. But He did ask Job some questions, and here I must be very careful.
I believe that the questions God asks of Job each of us should contemplate, as they have to do with our standing, our relationship with our Creator.

“Job 40

1Then the LORD said to Job,
2 “Will the faultfinder contend with the Almighty?
Let him who reproves God answer it.”
3Then Job answered the LORD and said,
4 “Behold, I am insignificant; what can I reply to You?
I lay my hand on my mouth.
5 “Once I have spoken, and I will not answer;
Even twice, and I will add nothing more.”

6Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm and said,
7 “Now gird up your loins like a man;
I will ask you, and you instruct Me.
8 “Will you really annul My judgment?
Will you condemn Me that you may be justified?
9 “Or do you have an arm like God,
And can you thunder with a voice like His?
10 “Adorn yourself with eminence and dignity,
And clothe yourself with honor and majesty.
11 “Pour out the overflowings of your anger,
And look on everyone who is proud, and make him low.
12 “Look on everyone who is proud, and humble him,
And tread down the wicked where they stand.
13 “Hide them in the dust together;
Bind them in the hidden place.
14 “Then I will also confess to you,
That your own right hand can save you.”

This is just a short section of what God asked Job, but it gets right to the point: if we are not God, not His equal, then we cannot question God or His motives when our lives are torn apart. We cannot curse God, blame God, find fault with God, because we are merely men and women, His creations. As the poem says, “Our arms too short to box with God.”
I encourage you to read through Job; it is deep, filled with wisdom, much spiritual nourishment. May God richly Bless you today.

No comments: