Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Gift of Water

"7There came* a woman of Samaria to draw water. Jesus said* to her, “Give Me a drink.” 
8For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. 
9Therefore the Samaritan woman said* to Him, “How is it that You, being a Jew, ask me for a drink since I am a Samaritan woman?” (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.) 
10Jesus answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.” 
11She said* to Him, “Sir, You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep; where then do You get that living water? 
12“You are not greater than our father Jacob, are You, who gave us the well, and drank of it himself and his sons and his cattle?” 
13Jesus answered and said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; 
14but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”" John 4:7-14

Back in the day, back on the day that I became a Christian, I received that Living Water, and here is how it has affected my life:


From that day, I have not looked for God-He found me.
From that day, all seeking after Truth ended, as God is Truth, and True, and I haven't had a molecule of doubt about God in the intervening years. I've doubted myself, I've worked through some bad theology which I came to reject, but I've had no doubts about God.
From that day, without any change in my physical environment...I knew the world differently, saw everything in a new way. It still amazes me, the difference between what I had known and what I have come to understand since my first sip of that Living water.
From that day, just as Christ told the woman at the well, I have not thirsted-I am satiated with the Living water which has ended all desire for anything else.
May God give you that water. May you drink deep.

1 comment:

Doug said...

One clue that someone has not yet tasted of that Living Water:

Unsurety. Not a word, but it's like this-I have no doubt that Jesus Christ is the only name given under Heaven by which anyone can be saved.
Someone professing to be a Christian but unsure will question about all of the other religions which teach good things, but not Christ.
I can say without quibble, for example, that Mormons are not Christians, even if they co-opt the name Jesus Christ into the name of their false church.
Someone unsure will be more interested in not offending someone by calling them out on false theology.
Likewise, I didn't automatically know everything about good theology-I wasn't 'jacked in' to God like Neo in the Matrix. It has taken years, my lifetime since that day of Salvation to learn some things of God. And I'm still in kindergarden, so to speak-none of us can know God in the here and now as well as we will when we are no longer clomping around in these sinful bodies. Now we see as through a glass, darkly. Better days ahead.