Friday, December 27, 2013

Better Best Perfec



15Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 
16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. 
17The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.

1 John 2:15-17

If you cannot tell from my stylings verbata, I am left handed. Crummy handwriting is part of the package; I marked up my first Bible after becoming a Christian, but no longer do so.
Listening to a study by Dr Jeremiah this morning, he referenced 1 John chapter 2.
I still have and sometimes use that first Bible-I keep it in the kitchen to read while eating.
Back on this date, December 27, 1981 I circled the above passage and marked the date.
It obviously made a mark on me.
32 years have passed, and I am still here, still struggling with the same stuff, but it is different now:
then I was a child, a newborn in Christ, with just a little bit of wisdom and learning.
The intervening years have been my teachers in both the things of God and the things of the world.
I have learned to trust God more and to put no faith in everything else.
Lustful flesh, lustful eyes, boastful pride. Every evil in the world springs from these roots.
We Christians struggle and suffer in this unfriendly world which hates God and His Children.
But God's Grace is sufficient for each and all of us to bring us through this wicked world and into His rest.
May God by His Grace give you the faith to believe.

1 comment:

Doug said...

As for the title:
Better-my first day as a Christian was better than my entire life up until then.
Best-In this present age, in this weak, imperfect body, this is the best that I can have at this time.
It isn't that physically I am in great shape-but I am loved by God, and that is enough in this present evil world.
Perfec-unfinished now, but when I get to Heaven I will be perfect, meaning complete. Each Christian carries a little bit of Heaven now as a foretaste of what is to come.
That will be perfect.