Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Forget Your Hexagram

I feel like revisiting an old postage here at FDW, just for gins and griggles.
I posted awhile back about the "Ghosthunter" type shows on TV. Some guys with electronic doodads and video cameras hunt spooks. If they get ANY evidence at all, they get so excited that they shout over any poor spirit trying to finish his point.
Bottom line-God says stay away from occult practices. Leave that ghost alone, you don't know where it's been.
Demons-actual fallen angels-are actually behind what we term 'the occult'. I want nothing to do with them.
One of the TV shows, "Ghost Adventures" on the Travel Channel recently had an episode where they confronted a demon plagued place-and they brought in a priest to perform an exorcism. Huh.
You may be asking, why is Doug watching such shows? Nothing good on the Church Channel?
Actually, there is nothing good on the Church Channel, but that's another post.
I watch what I watch. I don't believe that I am here to hermetically seal myself in Church culture. I live in this world, too. I found out something about the "Ghost Adventures" crew that intrigued me-one of the three Ghost Adventurers, Aaron...identifies himself as a "Baptist Christian". Huh. I guess Aaron doesn't seal himself in church either.
Anyway,Aaron and his two partners in ectoplasimic pursuits teamed up with a priest to exorcise a place.
In the book of Acts we read of some of the miracles, including casting out demons, done through the Apostle Paul. Some Jews, jealous of Paul, decided that they would also gain a following by casting out demons in the name of...well, read for yourself:
"11God was performing extraordinary miracles by the hands of Paul, 
12so that handkerchiefs or aprons were even carried from his body to the sick, and the diseases left them and the evil spirits went out. 
13But also some of the Jewish exorcists, who went from place to place, attempted to name over those who had the evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, “I adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preaches.” 
14Seven sons of one Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. 
15And the evil spirit answered and said to them, “I recognize Jesus, and I know about Paul, but who are you?” 
16And the man, in whom was the evil spirit, leaped on them and subdued all of them and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded." Acts 19:11-16
This is how I see the Ghost Adventures crew getting into trouble. Except for Aaron, they don't seem to be Christian. They seek out occult occurrences,  and, not having faith themselves, ask a priest to use his faith to accomplish an exorcism. "We adjure you by the Jesus Father Blarney preaches." Trouble in River City.
 I think that they are heading for misery and trouble in their lives, and I would say to brother Aaron, "Dude, you're in the wrong business." Not that it's any of mine.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Bye the bye, the title, Forget Your Hexagram, is the Larry Norman song I mentioned in an earlier comment. Google if you are interested.
As I've mentioned in earlier posts-I've had and continue to have 'ghost' stuff happen in my life.
I ignore it. I'm not scared of it, or worried about it-I have the Holy Spirit, and that casts out all fear.