Thursday, January 31, 2013

Holy Awesome

"Proverbs 3:5-6
 5    Trust in the LORD with all your heart     And do not lean on your own understanding.
6    In all your ways acknowledge Him,     And He will make your paths straight."



"Proverbs 9:10-11
10    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,     And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
11    For by me your days will be multiplied,     And years of life will be added to you."


Or not. 
I'll get to that in a minute.
Notice that first verse, containing one of the hardest verses in the Bible: 'do not lean on your own understanding.'
Sure, we trust God. With all of our heart...okay. But we still want to lean on our own understanding, and that's gonna mess us up (to misquote the Kinleys from their song of the same name).
Abraham leaned on his own understanding when he allowed Sarah to talk him into having a child with her handmaiden so as to have an heir...instead of trusting God Who had promised him a proper heir. He also offered up his servant, asking God if Eliezer of Damascus could be his heir? Nope Nope Nope
If we actually trust in God, we shouldn't fall into the error of those who tip over from leaning on their own
understanding. If we acknowledge Him, trust Him, depend and lean upon Him...that's a Life Win.
'years of life will be added to you'.
I meant that 'or not' earlier. If our lives truly belong to God, if we trust in Him with all of our heart, then we do not worry as to  the number of years we live on this side of eternity.
If I am His to do with as He pleases, my life is His, and whatever He decides is fine with me.
I love life, and have been blessed by God in incalculable ways. If He requires my soul of me today (read Luke 12:20) I would be giddy as a schoolkid set free to his Summer vacation. (I would quote Alice Cooper here, but don't want the parochial cops snootin' at me)
He doesn't promise that if we are 'good' we get to live longer on Earth in this sinful cosmos of a mess.
The 'years of life will be added to you (me)' will have their perfection in Heaven. How cool is that?

1 comment:

Doug said...

I admit that the past few weeks have been a bit...tumult filled.
But through it all, I trust that God is going to take care of me as He has promised in His word.
That doesn't mean that I will have a perfect life filled with pleasant moments 24/7/365.
Some of His most faithful servants
are tortured, imprisoned, killed for remaining true to Him. We will all be happy in Heaven. That is Holy Awesome.