Saturday, October 25, 2014

Okay, Fine- A Political Post

Sharpen your tongues, peoples. I am about to dip my toe into the cesspool of America:
Politics/Election 2014.
It's a good thing that the Bible states that my (self) righteousness is as filthy rags (compared to the righteousness of Christ) because I wouldn't want to wear fine clothings for this expedition.  Filthy rags for a filthy job. I'm going to need two showers later.
First let me echo the wisdom of Rush Hudson...Limbaugh in case you missed it on his program or website:
A protest vote against the Democrats doesn't mean that the country is embracing Conservatism.
It may be a landslide against Democrats in 11 days, but that might have more to do with the Obama administration making worse the lives of voters.
If you could tally as Republican every vote of someone who:
     Lost their healthcare insurance.
     Kept their insurance but saw premiums skyrocket and coverage shrink.
     Lost their job due to the bad economy.
     Saw their taxes increase.
You would probably see a Democrats buried in a landslide of protest votes.
But.
It would be a mistake to think that the country is becoming more conservative. People don't change their opinions so easily, and any opinion quickly changed may change back on a whim.
I'm more sanguine than melancholic, and face each difficulty, if not with a smile, at least with the courage that comes from having already come through so many fires/earthquakes/tsunamis/elections.
The only GOOD government will occur when Christ rules the world from Jerusalem. Until then...we make do with that we have. I will be voting the straight Republican ticket not because I have great love for the GOP. Mine is a protest vote against the other side.
One 'caveat lector': I am notoriously wrong about elections; I assumed that President Obama had no chance of winning, and doubled down by stating that he would be a one term President.
So I may have egg on my embarrassed face 12 days from now.
Luckily, I have learned to take my lumps as I do my successes: with a smile.



8 comments:

Doug said...

I assume that the Democrats will have their bag of excuses at their sides to be shaken out in the event of a lost election:
"They cheated! Don't know how, but THEY cheated!
"Weather! It was SNOWING! Somewhere!"
"It's a mid term election! Turnout is always bad!"
"Ebola!Ebola!Ebola!"

Lucia said...

Why don't you like the GOP? Not conservative enough?

Doug said...

Don't know if you were attempting sarcasm, Lu, but yes, that is part of it.
John McCain is a good example of a bad Republican. So far left that he could wave hello at you.
But it is mostly because the 'ruling class' of both parties are at odds with the rest of us. They live to politicate and remain viable to re-politicate.
Every election year they try to buddy up to us, the great unwashed,
to convince us that they are necessary. After each election the winners go back to work playing their political games, getting rich at our expense. The losers do all they can to get back on top, get back in the only game they know or care about.
I've said it before: Term limits for Congress AND the President would go a long way towards straightening out Washington.
I have no objection to SC Justices serving for life, as they should be above politics, judging Law.
I'm not alone. There are many, many people in this country who feel ill-served by our public maste...servants. Who knows, Lu-you might be one of us.

Lucia said...

No, I wasn't being sarcastic, and I do agree with you, sort of, about the ruling class. I will say that if you think McCain is a leftist, I'd love to see your idea of a good conservative candidate; I imagine they would be, as a friend used to say, to the right of Attila the Hun.

(McCain somehow managed to make people think he was centrist/independent while voting highly conservatively. Many people thought he was pro-choice, for instance, at the very same time NARAL gave him a 0 lifetime score on his actual voting record.)

Doug said...

No offense intended, Lu, about the sarcasm thing-it is not always easy to figure out intent.
Yes, to me, McCain is far too liberal, has for years been on the wrong side of too many issues. When he won the nomination in 2008 I knew that he would fail, as most 'real' Republicans (back when we thought our opinion mattered) wanted Romney or ANYONE ELSE. Bringing Palin onto the ticket raised a bit of false hope for about two minutes, but we knew that McCain still had no chance of beating Obama.
Term limits. Limit the possible damage of any ego-centric politico
to just a few years, and the country might return to a Democracy/Republic where the people have more power than the politicians.
Question: Lu, how do you see the mid term going? Will the Dems lose the Senate? Will the unpopular 'Affordable Care Act debacle' cost Democrats seats? Immigration?
Without putting too fine a point on it...does President Obama torpedo the Democrats chances?

Lucia said...

I think the Democrats will lose the Senate, yes. I think it will more likely be because of the lackluster economic recovery than the ACA or immigration. Polls show that if you ask people if they like the ACA, many (including most self-identified Republicans) say no, but if you ask if they like the ACA's provisions, most (again including Republicans) say yes. Which goes to show you that the GOP is still better than the Democrats at messaging. Or something.

I'm sort of amused by your comments on McCain and Palin, given that the conventional wisdom of pundits of all persuasions is that he had a chance until he picked her as his running mate. Pundits are often wrong, of course.

Doug said...

"the conventional wisdom of pundits of all persuasions"

I've written some jokes over the years, some humorous stories, but I bow to your mastery of the comic line.
Yah, it's election day, and I will vote. I even sent around a sample ballot to a few friends so that they could see the candidates and ballot initiatives (yes or no questions) before arriving at the booth.
Even if Republicans do re-take
Congress, why do I feel like
I'm rewarding crooks who have wiped me out?
Here's some more punditry that should appeal to you, Lu-Conservatives are concerned that President Obama, who never listened to Congress anyway, will issue a blizzard of "Executive Orders" to do whatever he pleases in his last two years with no re-election to worry about.
Granting amnesty to each and every person who has entered the country illegally is assumed to top his personal agenda.
He should remember that Newton's Third Law is in play:
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."
It is in play today: President and Dems anger the voters (action) causing the voters to punish the Dems by voting them out of 'power' (re-action).
But both parties will survive until
the Lord returns and cleans house on all governments. When He rules from Jerusalem...a much better world.
I hope that you have a good day, Lu-I've got to go earn more money for the government to tax.

Lucia said...

Um, I think he's more concerned with climate change, but whatever.