Saturday, March 28, 2015

With All Due Respect

Oh sure, I haven't gotten in trouble for awhile. Life is not boring, but there is a certain...
regularity.
I've denounced "Easter" often enough-that it is a pagan holiday which attempts to paper over (with pastel colors!) the true celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
A buffer overflow of eggs, chocolate, bunnies and the snooty paganistas who claim that WE co-opted THEIR Spring celebration by attempting to make it all about Jesus.
Keep Easter far from me, friends. It's all yours.
Ah. The image above. Churches will be filled to capacity next week with semi-perennials who bloom twice a year: Christmas and Easter. The other 50 Sundays (51 for Leap Year) are spent relaxing at home and watching sports.
As our friend Mac sang: "Go Your Own Way".

3 comments:

Doug said...

I no longer pub crawl. I don't spend much time at drinking parties, as I don't drink and feel that I don't belong there.
That's how it is for the semi-perennials: they show up at church,wearing their best intentions and penance. It is a place where they know that they don't belong, but they do not feel at home there.
Follow my lead, my impenitent friends: stay home, and I promise to not intrude on your boozefests.

Lucia said...

Easter (n.) Look up Easter at
Easter
Dictionary.com
Old English Easterdæg, from Eastre (Northumbrian Eostre), from Proto-Germanic *austron-, "dawn," also the name of a goddess of fertility and spring, perhaps originally of sunrise, whose feast was celebrated at the spring equinox, from *aust- "east, toward the sunrise" (compare east), from PIE *aus- (1) "to shine" (especially of the dawn); see aurora.

So, in fact, the word at least is derived from the words for earlier fertility celebrations. When Christians were a persecuted minority, they thought it prudent to align their celebrations with Pagan ones, and who can blame them?

I don't celebrate Easter, but I do rejoice in the return of warmth, green, growth, burgeoning life. And I love me some chocolate bunnies.

Doug said...

Must be Spring, I'm getting schooled on Easter again.
I don't celebrate Easter, either, Lu.
Because it is pagan.
"When Christians were a persecuted minority, they thought it prudent to align their celebrations with Pagan ones, and who can blame them?"
OR
As Christians gloried in their persecutions, and willingly died to advance the Gospel..."Easter" was brought in by false Christians to harm the church. Just like Christmas and every other heresy.
Infiltrate and bring down from within-Jesus and His disciples warn against false brethren-read 1 Peter, 2 Peter and John 1,2,3. Then read Jude, which is close to Peter.