Saturday, June 23, 2007

Family

“14For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” 16The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.”
Romans 8:14-17

Family. A word that each of us understands according to our own lives-we are a family, they are a family, a family is connected, usually through blood.
Sometimes families break up, sometimes families live in turmoil, constant emotional upheaval due to the problems of some of its members-but even if they are broken, even if there is turmoil, there is still Family.

The Scripture above is one that I can understand intellectually, but still have a hard time accepting emotionally. I can understand that God loves us, and that He has adopted us, made us His children. His Spirit testifies with my spirit; I have no doubts as to my belonging to God. But to make us heirs, fellow heirs with Christ-I can’t get my heart around that, can’t ‘emotionally comprehend’ that wonderful blessing. To be invited into the house as a servant would be wonderful beyond measure-and God goes even further than that, making us His children and heirs.

Family is on my mind a lot lately, different families that I know-some in trouble, breaking up, others full of peace. Whatever your situation, if you or someone in your family is in trouble, cry out to God, “Abba, Father!” and He will take care of you.
May God Bless you and your family today.

No comments: