Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Live Blogging Sort Of Kinda Almost At FDW


Republican Convention 9-3-2008
Rudy Giuliani has just begun speaking. I had a light load at work, and decided to bug out early.
First I went to church; as I work nights, this was my first Wednesday night fellowship in quite a while. We had a very nice time, and now I’m listening to Giuliani, waiting for Palin. Rudy is contrasting Obama’s experience with that of McCain, Palin, and himself.
Ouch. Obama’s ears must be burning right now. I wish there were a camera on him; he must be listening to this.
*****
TV cameras are scanning the crowd, and there are a lot of happy faces out there. It’s a small thing, but the Republican Convention seems freer, more fun than the Denver shindig. Picking Sarah Palin seems to have picked up the energy in the Excel Energy Center.
*****
Rudy is hot. He mentioned that Obama has often changed positions on issues depending on the group in front of him.
Rudy: “Joe Biden…better get that vice president thing in writing.”
*****
I just noticed that Cindy McCain is holding Trig Palin. That’s a sweet picture.
*****
I’m back-had to go get coffee. Sarah Palin is speaking now, and going a great job. She doesn’t seem nervous-the more I see, the more I like, the more confident I am that John McCain picked the right Vice President.
*****
Now Palin is getting boos-not for her, but for her mention of the media which has opened up on her and her family with the mud cannon. The delegates love her, and this is a great night. I’ve seen quite a few Conventions over the years-this is a good one.
*****
I was called away for a bit, and now the Convention is ending. I’ve been watching/listening to the coverage on PBS…and during the singing of our national anthem, the PBS talking heads are dissecting the night. Our national anthem is playing, and they ignore it. Kind of sad.
*****
1983. I have someone cover the first few hours of my midnight shift so that I can go see the Statler Brothers in concert. It opens with a highlighted American flag on stage; we stand, hands on hearts, say the pledge of allegiance AND sing our national anthem before even one performer comes out. God Bless America.

No comments: