Sunday, June 03, 2012

Pay No Attention, Please

Bugged. Well, not really 'bugged', but a bit of unease happened this morning.
In church we were singing a song which mentions how, when we are in Heaven, we will
be praising God with a 'crown upon our brow'.
The first thing that came to mind was, "Not me-I don't deserve any crowns."
I know, I know-it says in God's Word that we will be blessed in Heaven, and there is mention of crowns...
but I know what a stinker I am.
It's hard to get this concept into our noggins-that when God looks at Christians, He sees them as
bearing the Righteousness of Christ-He sees us as Holy. Us. Holy.
I don't feel Holy, which I guess is good, because I live by faith, not feelings.
Still, I feel that I am not "crown worthy"-I'm just grateful that God has accepted me because of Christ.
I think that is why God so strongly confirms in His Word that we cannot lose our Salvation, that none
whom He has called will be lost. We need to hear that, often. Especially us stinkers.


4 comments:

Doug said...

"John 3:16 (KJV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

I'm a whosoever. May God grant you the Grace to believe.

James said...

Have you read Barth? He's difficult and esoteric, but he underscores the Christian experience as one of negation. Our faith is more "real" when we realize our emptiness and lack of positive virtue and goodness. It's not necessarily when we feel uplifted.

Doug said...

Hello James-I can't read Barth right now-I'm slogging my way (again)through "A Woman Rides The Beast" by Dave Hunt, who shines a light on Roman Catholicism in the 'end times'.
Hint: Catholics hate Hunt.
I'm not a Christian who lives for the 'uplifted' part of life-that comes later, in Heaven. I have good reason to distrust emotionalism in both theology and politics. Our hearts are wicked, and emotional appeals which tug at the heart can take us in the wrong direction.
Is Barth a Christian? According to whom? Just asking-I haven't looked him up, but I will. I'm supposed to be asleep right now.

James said...

Barth was most definitely a Christian. He was a Reformed scholar, but even Pope Pius Xii labeled him "the most important theologian since Aquinas".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Barth

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/131christians/theologians/barth.html