Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I Flunked Retirement

Not me personally, but I saw an old gentleman at the store today wearing that message on his hat.
I had just been visiting with a couple of my former co-workers-one happily retired and one not so happily
looking for work. We had all been heaved overboard from the corporate ship in January.
I have been avoiding political stuff, but please excuse a general statement: jobs are disappearing, the economy is hurtin for certin, and things will probably get worse in the next few years. I blame the present
administration, which I believe has hurt the country and the world with its policies. Counter productive just about nails it. Thus endeth the political stuff.
Anyway, the world in which we live will keep turning, and I don't see anything improving in great measure until Christ returns and sets up His Kingdom, ruling the Earth from Jerusalem.
Until that Day, we will abide.

4 comments:

Doug said...

"15See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;"
Hebrews 12:15a
This follows a recent comment about how we are to rejoice and not mope through life. Bitter is no way to live in peace. I look for the roses among the weeds, and enjoy what I have from God's hand.

Lucia said...

Of course you blame the present administration. I blame our failure to regard each other as neighbors, for employer and employee to recognize that we are all in the same boat. I heard recently that Regal Cinemas (among other big employers of low-wage workers) is cutting back on employee hours so that no one will work 30 hours per week, so that they can avoid having to offer (and pay for) employee health insurance. My favorite Christian blogger did a post on this, pointing out that it may help the bottom line in the short run but will surely hurt it in the long run, as eventually no one will have spare cash to buy movie tickets (or pizza, or craft supplies, or any of the small indulgences on which many businesses are based).

Doug said...

Here's part of the deal, Lu. Full time jobs with benefits including health insurance are becoming rarer.
Companies are dropping health coverage because the 'fine' for not covering employees under the affordable care act is much less than the cost of the coverage.
I just left a job which offered zero benefits, where some people have worked for years without ever getting a raise.
Your Regal Cinemas example is just one of many, and yes, some blame for the problems in our economy falls on those in charge who pushed us into this mess.
I don't expect the economy to improve any time soon. I hope that you and yours aren't affected by this downturn, though I don't know who will be totally untouched by it.

Lucia said...

Some time back you said health insurance isn't a right, it's something people have to work for, and having to work for it motivates people to work. How are people supposed to be motivated to work if they can't get health insurance or a living wage?

And how are businesses supposed to make money if they won't pay anyone enough to buy anything?