Saturday, October 05, 2013

“ἀλλοτριεπίσκοπος·”


15But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men’s matters. 1 Pet 4:15 KJV

15Make sure that none of you suffers as a murderer, or thief, or evildoer, or a troublesome meddler; 
1 Pet 4:15NASB

15If you suffer, however, it must not be for murder, stealing, making trouble, or prying into other people’s affairs. 1 Pet 4:15 NLT

15for let none of you suffer as a murderer, or thief, or evil-doer, or as an inspector into other men’s matters; 1 Pet 4:15 Young’s Literal Translation

15 μὴ γάρ τις ὑμῶν πασχέτω ὡς φονεὺς ἢ κλέπτης ἢ κακοποιὸς ἢ ὡς ἀλλοτριεπίσκοπος·1 Pet 4:15 Greek New Testament

I threw the Greek in there not just for fun, but also to highlight this: “ἀλλοτριεπίσκοπος·”
Point one is that I am not a Bible scholar, and Greek is, well, Greek to me. But I was listening to Dr. John MacArthur, who IS a scholar, and what he said and has written about
this verse and that word has been kicking around in my head.

The word “ἀλλοτριεπίσκοπος·” is similar to one used elsewhere to describe a church elder, an “Overseer”-in this case one who negatively looks over or into other peoples business.
I’ll come right out and say that the other people in this regard are non-Christians.
If Dr MacArthur is correct, in simple, though we Christians are to live quiet lives obeying
God in the culture in which we find ourselves, we are not to be rabble-rousers against the
Government under which we suffer, nor are we to bring dishonor to the name of Christ by
Getting into other peoples business.

We can speak of how WE live, but we shouldn’t try to tell non-Christians how they should live. We shouldn’t get bent out of shape because pagans are living pagan lives, as if that were remarkable.
Naturally, this is unnatural for us. We are used to speaking out, exercising our right to Free Speech.
MacArthur’s point is that though the speech may be free, though we may have freedom to do all sorts of ungodly things according to the laws of the land…we live under God’s Law, and must restrain ourselves from many sinful actions. Including, according to this verse, telling unGodly people how they should live.
I’ve been guilty of this many times here at FDW, and have railed against the Government. It never occurred to me that such actions were not fitting for a Christian.  I am a Christian first and an American second. If the meaning of this verse is as Dr MacArthur has stated, I need to keep that in mind.




1 comment:

Doug said...

I have shied away from some of the more evil abuses of this verse done in God's name, though I am not attempting to excuse my actions.
Yesterday a friend gave me some CDs to listen to which are from a zealot who attempts to use Christianity to make political points. If he's the same guy who I've been directed to before, that guy is a nut.
Years ago I was puzzled-watching a documentary on Chinese Christians who were being tortured and killed by the atheistic Communist government, this old man said, "We love our Government, our China!" and I realize now that that old Christian man was living the example found in 1st Peter chapter four.
I hope that I can do the same.