Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Dining At His Table

"5    You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;     You have anointed my head with oil;     My cup overflows." Psalm 23:5

One of the most well known passages in the Bible, the 23rd Psalm, is so beloved because it speaks of
how one's trust in God is rewarded-we who belong to Him have a Great Shepherd Who guides our steps, looks to our protection and comfort and blesses us.
Verse five speaks of His 'preparing a table'-of God caring for the physical needs of David, of me, of every one of His children.
That doesn't mean that we won't sometimes starve in this troubled world, only that He will meet all of our needs.
Along with the physical needs met, He also meets our spiritual need by putting His Spirit within us who are His children-"have anointed my head with oil"-Anointed is Christos, or Christ. Those who have that anointing are Christian."The Anointed One" is a title of Messiah, and Jesus Christ is the Messiah.
Our response to God for providing for both our physical and spiritual needs?
"My cup overflows". The blessings of God fill me up, fill my life and I am grateful to God for all that He is, all that He does, and for making Salvation available to even such sinners as I am.
Before that salvation, when I read the 23rd Psalm, it was foreign to me, it was not mine and I had no
right to think that its blessings from God were for me.
But now my cup overflows. 
"6    Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,     And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever." Psalm 23:6

1 comment:

Doug said...

"In the presence of my enemies" right now in the middle of this troubled world, God takes care of His children.
We may be starving, poor and weak, but if He is with us, we trust that He will see us through this time of trouble and we will either survive here for a season or be brought Home forever.
I don't have much, but with God I have everything and plenty enough to make it through this world.
May God extend that same Grace to you,so that like David, you can claim the Blessings of God we find in His Word and especially in Psalm 23.